National Historic Landmark
— Louisiana State Museum —
Don Gilberto Guillemard, architect.
Constructed financed and directed by Don Andres Almonester y Roxas.
The mansard roof was added in 1847.
The illustrious Cabildo (Spanish colonial city council) held its sessions here in the Sala Capitular from May 10, 1799 until Nov. 30, 1803. The building housed the city hall of New Orleans, 1803-1853, and the supreme court of Louisiana, 1853-1910.
Until 1914, the prison at the rear was used as a jail servicing the police station on the first floor.
Louisiana state museum since 1911.
Here on December 20, 1803, were signed the documents transferring the Louisiana Purchase Territory from France to the United States. In 1825 the Cabildo was converted into a fine residence for the visiting General Lafayette.
On this site stood a French colonial corps de garde [police station] - 1724 - and a prison and criminal court room (chambre criminelle) - 1730.
The corps de garde, rebuilt in 1751, burned in 1788. The remains of its massive brick walls were incorporated in the present Cabildo building in 1795.
The first Cabildo building was constructed here in 1769 by the Spanish governor, Don Alexandro O'Reilly and destroyed in the conflagration of March 21, 1788. Restored 1966-1970 for the Louisiana State Museum.
Orleans Parrish Landmark Commission: Leonard V. Huber, President; Raymond A. Mix; Harold J. Smith. Jr.; Gasper J. Schird; Sidney L. Viller?; Samuel Wilson, Jr.
[At the bottom of the marker is the logo of the Orleans Parrish Landmarks Commission]
The Cabildo has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark.
Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935, this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustration the history of the United States.
U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service.