William Brown House

William Brown House (HMEMQ)

Location: Edgewater, MD 21037 Anne Arundel County
Buy Maryland State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 38° 56.479', W 76° 32.38'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 1090 views
Inscription
[picture of William Brown House] William Brown House: Historic American Buildings Survey photograph, circa 1935.

Location, Location, Location
One of the mysteries that still surrounds the lost town of London is the William Brown House. Built between 1758 and 1764 overlooking the South River, William Brown intended it to serve as his dwelling and an upscale tavern.

However, its construction at a time when most of the townspeople and businesses had deserted London Town raises many questions about this expensive building and its ambitious builder.

Was he trying to recapture some of the old town's prominence? Was he hoping the remaining ferry business would support his extravagance? Or, was he making a personal statement about his wealth and aspirations?

We may never know, and sadly, William Brown never finished his building - he lost ownership in the 1780s because of debt.

Anne Arundel County purchased the house and 10 acres in 1828 for use as the almshouse, or county "poor house." Poor and mentally ill county residents lived here until 1965 when a federal law known as the Welfare Act was passed, reforming treatment of the poor.

Through the efforts of many concerned citizens, the William Brown House was saved in the early 1970s and become a National Historic Landmark.

Brickwork
Measuring 50 by 40 feet and 49 feet high, the Brown House is the only known structure in the Chesapeake Bay region where header bond brickwork is used on all four walls (headers are the short side of the brick). It was an expensive technique, usually signifying the wealth of the owner.

The quality of the brickwork on each wall tells us about the importance of each side. The front of the building, facing what was once Scott Street, has brick of uniform color as does the riverside. The remaining two sides have bricks of mixed coloring, indicating that these sides are not as important.

On the front of the house in the lower right corner, you will see a brick with the initials, "PS," possibly those of the brick mason who remains unidentified.

[image of floor plan] Floor Plan: Another mystery about the William Brown House is its floor plan. It is an unusual layout for a house, supporting the theory that is main purpose was a tavern or inn. The four corner rooms are elevated, possibly to give greater privacy to lodgers. Learn about other theories during your tour of the house.

Another clue about its use as a tavern is an arched opening in the interior brick wall (now bricked in). It may have served as an opening to pass beverages from a corner bar in the entry to the larger public room.

William Brown
The aspiring and multi-faceted William Brown was a ferrymaster, tavernkeeper, joiner and cabinetmaker. His carpentry shop was located on a lot nearby.

His talents led him to become an "undertaker," or in today's language, a building contractor. He supervised the construction of the Dr. Upton Scott House in Annapolis. Completed in 1764, it bears a striking resemblance to his own house.

Brown owned slaves and had indentured servants. On one occasion, he had trouble with a runaway servant. This advertisement appeared in the Maryland Gazette on June 12, 1753.

FOUR PISTOLES REWARD
Run away on the 6th of March last, from the Subscriber living at London-town, a Convict Servant Man, named Edward Merriott, by Trade a Joyner, he is about 5 feet 4 inches high, much pitted with the Small-Pox, has a hoarse way of speaking, is a well-set Fellow, with large Eye-Brows, and a full red Face, like one that drinks hard, he is about 50 Years of Age, and has short, black, curl'd Hair.

Had on when he went away, a blue Fearnought Jacket, much worn, another light colour'd Jacket, lined with red, a Pair of grey Halfthick Breeches, light Yarn ribb'd Stockings, much darned, Country made shoes, an Osnabrigs Shirt, and an old Worsted Cap.

He has got a forged pass.

Whoever takes up the said servant, and secures him, so as he may be had again, after the Date of this Advertisement, shall receive Four Pistoles Reward, and reasonable Charges paid, if brought home.

William Brown
Details
HM NumberHMEMQ
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 5:49am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18S E 366564 N 4311391
Decimal Degrees38.94131667, -76.53966667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 38° 56.479', W 76° 32.38'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds38° 56' 28.74" N, 76° 32' 22.80" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)410, 443, 301
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 833 Londontown Rd, Edgewater MD 21037, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?