Erected by Captain John Russell, Commander of His Britannic Majesty's Sloop of War Scorpion, who gave his name to this residence and tract of fifty-five acres of land adjacent to the town of Brunswick. Subsequently owned and occupied by the British Governor and Commander in Chief,Arthur Dobbs,
and later conveyed to His Excellency
William Tryon, Governor.
On the 10th of February 1766, this building, known as Tryon's Palace, was surrounded by one hundred and fifty armed men of the Cape Fear, led by George Moore of Orton and Cornelius Harnett who resisted for the first time on this continent the authority of their sovereign lord the King, by demanding from Gov. Tryon the person of Capt. Lobb H. M. S. Viper and the surrender of the odious emblems of the British Parliament's Stamp Act committed to his care which had been brought to Brunswick by Capt. Phipps in H. M. S. Diligence. Subsequently, on the 21st day of February 1766, at 10 A. M. a body of five hundred Cape Fear men, in arms, under Cornelius Harnett and Col. James Moore, surrounded this house and demanded the surrender of H. M. Comptroller, Mr. Pennington, and required of him an oath that he would never issue any stamped paper in this province of North Carolina. This monument, by the North Carolina Society of the Colonial Dames of America, is composed of stones from the original foundation of Tryon's Palace on this spot, May 5th. 1909.
Luola Murchison Sprunt — President.
Gabrielle De R. Waddell, Vice-Pres. Carrie E. Prince, Secy.