This was a significant site for more than just the lighthouse. In this strategic location, Marconi demonstrated wireless telegraph, the US Navy established a wireless station and the US Army tested various radar units.
The Navy's Bureau of Equipment had the responsibility of establishing wireless radio stations for communications with Navy ships. Unable to reach an agreement with Marconi for use of his wireless equipment, the US Navy had, by 1902, established their own wireless station here.
By 1907, the Navy's station was abandoned and the building purchased by the Postal Telegraph Company. The Postal Telegraph Company moved the structure off the lighthouse grounds and attached it to their existing telegraph watchtower to provide housing for their telegraph keeper.
From 1932 until 1939, engineers and scientists from Fort Monmouth military base in Eatontown, NJ tested radar and other detection devices here. In November 1939, testers were able to use radar units to follow a flight of B-17 bombers over Long Island, New York flying a distance of 138 miles.