Historic Pottstown Walking TourFrom our earliest times, the cemeteries of Pottstown have been for the most part associated with churches. The original Sprogell burying ground was an exception, as was that of the Potts, Rutter and Hobart families (although this cemetery was in a sense a "church yard" of the Friends' Meeting House which once stood next to it). Part of John Potts' plans for Pottstown included promoting the community's religious needs; and to that end he donated the land to the Society of Friends, who built the first place of worship in our town, a one story brick building on King Street between Chestnut and Penn Streets. The Sprogell interments of 1776 and 1718 are the oldest, and with those at St. Gabriel's Church in Douglassville, pre-date the ones here.
|Placed By||Pottstown 250th Anniversary Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 11:42pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 444806 N 4455437|
|Decimal Degrees||40.24756667, -75.64895000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 14.854', W 75° 38.937'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 14' 51.24" N, 75° 38' 56.22" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||484, 610|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 201-233 Chestnut St, Pottstown PA 19464, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.