Originally in colonial Craven County, this area became part of Georgetown District, 1769; Liberty County, 1785; Marion District, 1798; and Marion County, 1868. The movement to separate this county from upper Marion County began some years before the General Assembly enacted the bill creating Dillon County. It was signed by Governor Martin F. Ansel, Feb. 5, 1910, in the presence of Dillon citizens.
James W. Dillon and his son Thomas gave one-half of this block for erection of the Dillon Courthouse; they also assisted financially in its construction. The cornerstone was laid October 30, 1911. Honoring James W. Dillon as Father of Dillon County, the granite monument on the grounds was unveiled June 29, 1938.