About 1:30 P.M. Nov. 22, 1864, after halting in Griswoldville to reform his column and report his progress, Brig. Gen. P.J. Phillips began moving his command (1st Division, Georgia Militia and attached units) east to clear the town, intending to halt there and await further orders. When the head of the column reached this vicinity, firing was heard about one half mile to the front. Riding forward, Phillips found Cook's Athens and Augusta battalions engaged with Walcutt's brigade [US] which, after retiring from Griswoldville, had taken up a strong position behind Little Sandy Creek, about one half mile east.
Sending Cook to the right, Phillips deployed Evans' State Line regiments on his left with McCoy's brigade on Evans' left, its left near the railroad. Anderson's brigade formed north of the railroad, its left parallel to the tracks. Anderson's battery was posted on the railroad. About 2:30 P.M. Phillips advanced in three lines across the open fields southeast of this point.
Although he made seven assaults on the intrenched Union line, his untrained militia could not dislodge Walcutt's battle-wise veterans and he was finally forced to retire towards Macon.