The Bridges of Vinton CountyThe Cox Covered Bridge was built in 1884 by the Diltz and Steel Company and uses a variation of the Vinton County Queenpost truss system. In late August 1992, workers from the Vinton County Engineer's office used an innovative method to move the Cox Covered Bridge 20 feet north onto new concrete foundations. The ends of the bridge were jacked up and metal runners were placed under them. Strips of plywood were laid down along both banks of the creek, nailed together, and liberally coated with grease. Steel cables were fastened to the runners under the ends of the bridge and attached to front loaders which pulled the bridge onto its new site. Today, the Cox Covered Bridge provides a pleasant place to picnic, enjoy Vinton County's scenic beauty, and reflect on "days gone by."
|Placed By||Make a Difference Day Ohio and Others|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 11:52am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 374182 N 4358388|
|Decimal Degrees||39.36580000, -82.46051667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 21.948', W 82° 27.631'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 21' 56.88" N, 82° 27' 37.86" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 64999 Co Hwy 20, Creola OH 45622, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.