Horace T. Lumpkin (1857-1930) A Virginia native and son of exslaves, is credited with introducing formal education to black children in Macon County. Lumpkin, who was educated at Knoxville College, Tennessee and Atlanta University, founded the Lumpkin Academy in 1886. In 1889, land was purchased at this site for the school.
The two-story, wood-frame structure was constructed and operated with the financial support of ex-Oglethorpe resident Mrs. W.L. Peel. Students at Lumpkin Academy studied reading, writing, arithmetic, English, science, geography, history, mathmatics, and astronomy. Professor Lumpkin, as he was known, often sought jobs around town in order to teach his students agriculture, carpentry and landscaping. Music and band were also available. When Rosenwald Schools for black children opened their doors in Macon County in the early 1930's. Lumpkin Academy, its founder deceased and its aging building in disrepair, closed its doors permanently.