In 1789, Heutrau Navarre, son of Detroit's Royal Notary, built this house, Michigan's oldest residence. Constructed of joined timbers, it is considered the best example of French colonial architecture in the state. Originally Navarre used it as a depot for his fur trade business, but in 1798 converted it to his family residence. After he sold it in 1802 it had two other prominent owners, John Anderson, fur trader and local militia colonel, and Joseph Dazet, physician and refugee from the French Revolution.
To preserve the house the Ilgenfritz family moved it from its original location on Elm Ave. in Monroe in 1894. The Monroe County Historical Society moved it here in 1972 and has restored it as a French homestead.