In 1846, when President Polk called for volunteers to fight against Mexico, a company of men organized promptly in Griffin. Calling themselves "The Fannin Avengers", they marched to Columbus where the company became part of a regiment commanded by Colonel Henry R. Jackson of Savannah. The regiment performed gallant service in Mexico.
The company was named in honor of Col. James W. Fannin of Twiggs County, a martyr to Texas independence. Tremendously outnumbered, he agreed to surrender his command to troops under the command of Mexican dictator Santa Anna when assured the safety of his men would be guaranteed. Instead he and his men were murdered at Goliad in 1836.
Officers of "The Fannin Avengers" were Captain H. J. Sargent, 1st Lt. George D. Alexander, 2nd Lt. H. B. Holliday. Non-commissioned officers at the time the company left Griffin were 1st Sergeant F. M. Ison, 2nd Sgt. G. D. Johnson, 3rd Sgt. William F. Moore, 4th Sgt. Robert Latimer, 1st Corporal Alex O. Reed, 2nd Cpl. T. D. Bertody, 3rd Cpl. Joseph Johnson, and 4th Cpl. Ben F. Ingram.