William M. Spitler became Naruna's first postmaster in 1878, and he named the town after the riverboat that carried him to Texas from Tennessee. At that time, Naruna was an agricultural community with store, school, churches, fraternal lodges and this cemetery, one of few reminders of the town, which was bypassed by the railroad in the 1800s. The cemetery's first marked burial dates to 1841; the land was deeded as a cemetery decades later, in 1886, by J.W. Hoover. Many graves are marked only by plain stones or remembered in stories told to settlers' descendants, who continue to maintain the cemetery.