"Gateway to the Gold Fields"Founded by Dr. Robert Semple in 1847, the Martinez-Benicia ferry was the first established and longest operating ferry service in the S.F. Bay Area. In 1850 Oliver Coffin took over the operation and with his brothers purchased a new ferryboat, the "Carquinez", and built the Ferry Street Wharf, once located 100 feet west of this spot. The Pony Express, on one of its trips to San Francisco, first set foot in Contra Costa County on April 23, 1860, after an early morning ferry trip from Benicia. With the opening of the George A. Miller Memorial Bridge the ferry ceased operations September 14, 1962.
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 575740 N 4208400|
|Decimal Degrees||38.02013333, -122.13710000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 1.208', W 122° 8.226'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 1' 12.48" N, 122° 8' 13.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||510, 925|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 432-492 Joe DiMaggio Dr, Martinez CA 94553, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.