Upper Plaque:Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape
Pecan Lane Rural Historic Landscape was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2000.
Pecan Lane played a significant part in the aricultural history of Camp Verde. During the late 19th century and early twentieth centuries the community served as the breadbasket for the major towns in Yavapai and Coconino Counties, including Jerome, Prescott, and Flagstaff.
Once a principle farming area of Camp Verde, Pecan Lane is one of its best preserved, still conveying the sense of a rural country lane in a farming community.
Pecan Lane's period of significance begins with U.S. settlement in 1893 pusuant to the Homestead Act. The section of Eureka Ditch within this area was dug in 1896. The Pecan Lane name derives from rows of pecan trees that dominate the District and delineate its edges. In 1926 Noah Haydon purchased the property and moved there with his son Carl and daughter-in-law Eva. In 1927-28, Eva planted pecan seedlings in an attempt to introduce a new cash crop with the help of water from the Eureka Ditch. The seedlings developed into the majestic trees that distinguish Pecan Lane today.
Monument funded by Camp Verde. Sign created by Jim Larue, master blacksmith and his apprentices Dale and Bonnie Harvey. Rock base by William Gant and metal sign by Don Stone. 2-9-02