(1818)The Presbyterians organized the first church in Florence and purchased this property from the Cypress Land Company in 1818. A sanctuary was erected here in 1824. James L. Sloss, an early Alabama Territory missionary, was installed as the church's first permanent pastor in 1830. Although the church buildings have undergone several major expansions and renovations, the present sanctuary occupies the site of the 1824 building~ the "mother church" of Florence.The congregation in 1968 decided to remain an urban church and to continue its historical presence in the heart of Florence.
|Placed By||Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 11:38am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 438332 N 3851287|
|Decimal Degrees||34.80195000, -87.67416667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 48.117', W 87° 40.45'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 48' 7.02" N, 87° 40' 27.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 200-298 E Mobile St, Florence AL 35630, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.