HarwintonThe town was settled in 1731, named in 1732 from Harry(tford) and Win(dsor), and became incorporated in October, 1737. Located on the Hartford-Litchfield Turnpike, Harwinton was primarily an agricultural community with many part-time industries carried on in conjunction with farming. Items produced included bricks, tinware, pitchforks, hats, cutlery, whetstones, barrels, and clocks by Hopkins and Alfred, Orson Barber, and Sheldon Osborne. Lead Mine Brook and its tributaries provided water power for many of the early industries.
Construction of the first church began in 1740 and the first school was established in 1741. In the 1800's the town boasted two academies and two boarding schools. For many years there were twelve school districts throughout the town. One-room schoolhouses were in use until 1948.
Erected by the Town of Harwinton
and the Connecticut Historical Commission