(1/4 Mile East)The Oxford community was founded in 1880 when confederate veteran A.J. Johnson came to Llano County and laid out the townsite. In 1881, a burial ground was established near this site for the use of the families of Oxford. Burials date from 1883, although some of the graves that were moved from a neighboring cemetery bear earlier death dates. Among those interred there are the town's founder, A. J. Johnson (1832-1912); and James R. Moss (1843-1924), who captained the Packsaddle Mountain Fight, an 1873 battle that drove raiding Indians out of the Llano county.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 5:56am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14R E 528359 N 3385733|
|Decimal Degrees||30.60381667, -98.70415000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 36.229', W 98° 42.249'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 36' 13.74" N, 98° 42' 14.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||915, 325|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 66 Co Rd 113, Llano TX 78643, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.