— The Museum in the Streets —The Methodist Episcopal Church had its beginnings in Ridgefield 1n 1787 when the first meeting was held - just 21 years after Methodism had been introduced into the U.S. from England. In 1789 Jesse Lee, a native of Virginia, was sent north as a circuit rider. His third sermon in Connecticut was preached at the Independent Schoolhouse on Main St. In 1841 a second meetinghouse was built, and in 1883 the building was moved back on the property where it was enlarged and remodeled in the Queen Anne style. The church was demolished in the 1960s and a new church built further south on the old town green.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 1:55am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 625736 N 4571092|
|Decimal Degrees||41.28148333, -73.49856667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 16.889', W 73° 29.914'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 16' 53.34" N, 73° 29' 54.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2-56 Catoonah St, Ridgefield CT 06877, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.