Clark Memorial Clubhouse

Clark Memorial Clubhouse (HMM5L)

Location: Clarkdale, AZ 86324 Yavapai County
Buy Arizona State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 34° 46.323', W 112° 3.396'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 803 views
Inscription

Placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 29, 1982

Clarkdale was planned, owned and developed by William A. Clark of Montana, owner of the United Verde Copper Company on Cleopatra Hill in Jerome. In 1911 Clark decided to change from the extraction process of mining to an "open pit" method. Because of their position at the top of the mine, both the smelter and the railroad terminus had to be relocated. The search for a new smelter site led to the founding of Clarkdale.

The Clubhouse was built as a memorial to William Andrews Clark after his death in 1925. With his bequest of $100,000 for a clubhouse, work began. The plans were designed by Fitzhugh & Byron of Phoenix, and were overseen by Clark's sons and grandsons. The building contains an Auditorium, Ladies Lounge, Kitchen, Reading Room, and Men's Lounge. The Auditorium was used for huge dances with live music provided by the mining company as well as theater productions and funerals. The ladies played cards in the Ladies Lounge and cooked festive party meals in the Kitchen. The men discussed business and played pool in the Men's Lounge while smoking a strong cigar purchased from the soda fountain. The Reading Room contained newspapers and magazines from all across the country. The entire building was adorned in copper details, down to the copper screens on the windows. Many of the original furnishing still adorn the rooms. A two lane bowling alley in the basement has since been removed, however, the outdoor swimming pool in the back of the building is still a popular summer get-away for Clarkdale residents. The building is now used for community events, rented for special occasions and is the meeting place for the Town Council and town boards and commissions.
Details
HM NumberHMM5L
Tags
Placed ByCity of Clarkdale
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 at 10:08pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. The member who adopted this marker listing is responsible for adding pictures.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)12S E 403314 N 3848273
Decimal Degrees34.77205000, -112.05660000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 34° 46.323', W 112° 3.396'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds34° 46' 19.38" N, 112° 3' 23.76" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)928
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 49 N 9th St, Clarkdale AZ 86324, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?