C. 1848Built by Firman Layman, this house is a prime example of original details from the late 1840's when the Greek Revival architecture was in vogue. Waitman Smithers, the toll collector and later superintendent of the C&D Canal, purchased the house in 1912. His son, Dr. Delmar Smithers, for whom the house is named, lived here with his family after his father's death and served the community as dentist. In 1966 Delmar passed away at the age of 92. he left the house to his two daughters, Elizabeth & Margaret who lived here until 1995. The Smithers sisters were instrumental in starting the Civic Association and Historic Commission. In 1997 Lee Collins restored the home.
|Series||This marker is part of the Maryland: Chesapeake City Historic District series|
|Placed By||Capt & Mrs. Schweizer|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 4:55am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 430162 N 4375542|
|Decimal Degrees||39.52670000, -75.81256667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 31.602', W 75° 48.754'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 31' 36.12" N, 75° 48' 45.24" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||410, 443|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 204 Bohemia Ave, Chesapeake City MD 21915, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.