Garfield Beach Railroad Junction was built in 1905. In 1908, its post office was named Welby in honor of Rio Grande Railroad Superintendent. The R.G.R.R. Company drilled water wells, built soft water treatment plant, a round house, machine and boiler shops. Welby had a telegraph office, boarding house, dance hall, pool hall, hotel, grocery and mercantile store, over 200 homes, and a three-room school house. The first teachers were Ann Phoenix, Bernice Nelson, and Miss Johnson. Harold Nielson was doctor. The railroad company lost its contract and Welby began to fade. The store and school were razed in 1948.