In 1952, the V.F.W. opened Camp Safety Patrol. Here, with the cooperation of the Department of Public Safety, over 72,000 youths camped and learned school safety practices. The V.F.W. made improvements, built facilities and obtained equipment for the camp. On August 15, 1979, the V.F.W. donated all improvements, equipment and facilities to the Department of Natural Resources. Hereafter the camp will be operated as a residential group camp as an integral part of Veterans Memorial State Park. It is officially named Veterans of Foreign Wars Group Camp.