— Louisiana African American Heritage Trail —In 1841, this parish was established for the inhabitants of Faubourg Trem?. The joint beneficence of Bishop Antoine Blanc and the Ursuline nuns made possible acquisition of property and erection of the church. Until 1925, the buildings of the Coll?ge d'Orl?ans and the motherhouse of the Sisters of Mount Carmel stood in this square. In 1842, the Sisters of the Holy Family began their apostolate for Blacks within this parish under the guidance of Abb? ?tienne Rousselon, founding pastor. Alexandre P. Tureaud, attorney and noted Louisiana civil rights leader, was baptized here April 2, 1899. In 1963, priests of the Society of the Divine Word began serving the parish.
|Placed By||Archdiocesan Bicentennial Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 9:51am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 783134 N 3318542|
|Decimal Degrees||29.96511667, -90.06605000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 29° 57.907', W 90° 3.963'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||29° 57' 54.42" N, 90° 3' 57.78" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1101-1199 Henriette Delille St, New Orleans LA 70116, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.