The heaviest casualties were around the Archibald Borden house and orchard. The first house was burned the day after the battle. Mr. Borden built this house on the site of the original in 1872. Charles W. Walker, 34th Arkansas Infantry, recalled:
"The once peaceful valley, now a field of carnage was swept with shot, shell, grape, and canister. The shriek of the wounded and the groan of the dying often rose above the din of battle. The Borden Orchard... was the storm center around which the battle raged furiously. Charge after charge across the valley and up the hill on which was Borden's house, was made by the gallant boys in blue, only as often to be repulsed by the boys in gray."