(Front):Veterans Memorial Bridge - 1921This reinforced concrete river bridge, thought to be the first in Alabama. Was erected over Pea River in 1920-21 at a cost of $92,108.97. It was dedicated on August 3, 1921 as a memorial to the 57 men from Dale County who lost their lives in World War 1. Engineers were Mitcham, Keller, Smith and Land. County officials were Windham, Sessions, Roberts, Ziglar, Mullins and Archer. In 1977, through the efforts of the Dale County Historical Society, The Veterans Memorial Bridge was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage by The Alabama Historical Commission.
(Reverse):Grist Mill - Indian Battle - RecreationThis land was purchased in 1832 by Henry Black who erected the first grist mill. In 1837 Creek Indians who escaped from the Battle Of Hobdy's Bridge, were routed here by Dale Militia. Subsequent mill owners were Hough, Frazier, Munn, Fleming and Beck. A post office called Scroggins Mill was established in 1844 with Edmund Black Postmaster; re-established as "River Mills" in 1877 with Daniel Munn, Postmaster. The mill was used to operate wool carding machines during the War Between The States. This site was popular as an area recreation center from 1875 to 1950.