This log cabin is the oldest surviving building at Fort Apache. The westernmost of a series of eight log cabins built in 1871 to form Officers' Row, this cabin was designated the Commanding Officer's Quarters. It was originally an 18 by 20 foot log pen with a canvas floor. A second pen, attached by an enclosed, ten-foot wide dogtrot was added later. Further additions include a log extension on the northwest side and wood frame additions constructed after the installation of a steam-powered sawmill in 1872. Like all officers' quarters constructed prior to 1883, the kitchen was housed in a detached shed behind the cabin.
The log quarters leaked and were drafty, and were gradually replaced by frame, and then in some cases, stone buildings. This cabin continued to be used as housing for junior officers throughout the Fort period. In the 1920's and '30s the cabin housed teachers for the Theodore Roosevelt School, and later was the home of the tribal trapper.
In 1969 the log cabin became the first home of the White Mountain Apache Tribe's Cultural Center and Museum. It was restored in 1994.