The Milton Library Association was organized in January 1875, and incorporated in March 1883. The first library consisted of one bookcase in Welch's Store. Books were donated by members who paid an annual fee for user privileges. In later years the library was moved to a building on Front Street where it operated under the sponsorshipof the Milton New Century Club. For a time it was housed on the second floor of the PalmerBuilding on Federal Street above the Milton Post Office. In 1920 the library was moved to the Odd Fellows Building on Chestnut Street, where it continued to operate until moving to this location. In desperate need of additional space, efforts to obtain a new facility were initiated in the 1970s. With the assistance of Federal funds, the Conwell Building was purchased by Sussex County on September 15, 1978. Built by William W. Conwell, the structure had housed a variety of businesses since its construction in 1912-13. Following extensive renovation, the library was opened under county management in July 1980. Responding to a growing demand for services, adjoining property was purchased in 1998, and plans to construct a major addition were begun. Funding for the project was provided by Sussex County, the State of Delaware, and the Friends of the Milton Public Library. The expanded facility was opened in December 2004.