Near here on the Occoquan River was Selecman's Ford, a rocky, narrow river crossing used by both sides during the Civil War. The 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry with 100 men of the 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry crossed this ford on December 19, 1862 to defend Occoquan from General Wade Hampton's raiding horsemen. On December 28, 1862, a day after General J.E.B. Stuart struck Dumfries and Occoquan, General Fitzhugh Lee's cavalry brigade encountered 250 men of the 2nd and 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry on a reconnaissance and drove them back to Selecman's Ford. The Confederate cavalry with Major John Pelham's horse artillery charged single file across the ford and pursued the Federals two miles into Fairfax County where they sacked and burned a Union camp. The outnumbered Federals lost 2 officers killed, 10 enlisted wounded, and 100 men captured. Stuart's "Christmas Raid" continued on to Burke Station and Fairfax Courthouse. The Occoquan dam, completed in 1958, flooded the ford site forever.