This Italianate style cottage was built in 1859 by C. B. and Martha Todd White. Mrs. White, half sister of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln, was an outspoken Southern patriot, who subjected the Lincolns to severe criticism, when the Northern press accused her of using a Presidential pass to smuggle medicine and other needed supplies "through the lines" to the Confederacy. Another sister, Elodie Todd, met her future husband, Col. N. H. R. Dawson, while visiting here.
Dr. Charles F. Force, son of the noted archivist and historian Peter Force, purchased the home in 1869. His widow Mary Matthews Force, one of the first postmistresses and their daughter, Miss Mary Force, a beloved teacher in the Selma schools lived out their lives here.
Purchased 1972 by the Sturdivant Museum Association
National Register of Historic Places Old Town Historic District 5-3-1978