Attack On The Union Left
Confederate Regiments from Brig. Gen. Thomas Scott's, Brig. Gen. John Adams', and Brig. Gen. Winfield Featherstons's Brigades of Maj. Gen. William Loring's Division advanced under artillery fire through this northwestern parcel of Carnton across the Nashville and Decatur Railroad tracks to face Osage Orange abatis and entrenched Federal Forces equipped, in part, with repeating rifles. The troops made the final 60 yards with fixed bayonets to face withering rifle fire that "swept our ranks like hail." To escape the enfilading rifle fire, survivors fell back to the ravine on Carnton, still under artillery fire. Wheeling his troops west, reportedly, Gen.Adams rode into this ravine, his horse nearly stepping on Cpl. Joseph Thompson, 35th Alabama, wounded by cannon shot.
Lot No. 1 in the Plan of Carnton
William C. and Lucy Ellen Birch Collins purchased this 3½-acre, northwestern parcel of Carnton Plantation in 1867. The dwelling, built about this time, is a "saddlebag" style, typical of common folk, Reconstruction-era houses. The F.B. Carter estate lay across the tracks to the west. George W Cuppet, Collins' son-in-law, had supervised the reinternment of the Confederate soldiers in McGavock Cemetery. In 1911 the property was bought by Thomas P. Henderson, a prominent Franklin attorney, who, at the end of WWI, was a member of the plot to kidnap the German Kaiser Wilhelm from his sanctuary in Amerongen, Holland. For fifty-five years, the home and gardens of "Captain Tom" and Lucille Carter Henderson served as an entertainment center for many local, state, and national personalities involved in politics, the arts, education, and literary achievements.