In the early Twentieth century, Benicia supplied one-third of California's leather, much of it tanned on this site by Kullman, Salz & Company. Beginning in 1881, early tannery structures occupied the western half of this block and by 1891 tannery structures covered the entire block.
A three-story brick building was sited on First Street, sprawling sheds holding mountains of tanbark from Humboldt County lined East Second Street and an imposing five-story rolling building dominated the area near C and First Streets. Overhead covered walkways linked structures, with one spanning across First Street.
At its production height, the tannery employed over 300 local workers, primarily Portuguese and Greek. It ceased Benicia operations in 1928 and the buildings were vacated. A series of fires erupted following the facility's closure, causing destruction of all buildings by 1945.