Built in 1957, the Stockyard has provided a livestock market for over two generations of farmers. Ralph T. McClendon and Georgia Senator Sam McGill opened this ultra-modern auction barn in Saluda. One newspaper article stated that the barn "is the most modern auction house in its kind in the country (it is air conditioned, gas heated, equipped with theater seats and contains a cafe), and it was built with comfort in mind for the people who use it, both the sellers — and the buyers, who came from all over the South and from northern and Midwestern states..."
Later, D.C. Herlong became a partner in the business. In 1999 these owners leased the property. Today Buddy Coleman, son of the first barn manager and grandson of "Blind Ben" Coleman, who unloaded the first cow into the facility, is the sole operator of the business, which is still a livestock market and one of only seven in South Carolina.
Comments 0 comments