Also known as the Sandoway House Nature CenterThe Sandoway House Nature Center was designed as a home by Samuel Ogren, Sr., in 1936 for early Delray Beach winter resident J. B. Evans, a retired produce broker. It is one of the last remaining Resort Colonial Revival houses in Delray Beach. Significant Resort Colonial Revival elements include the board-and-batten siding, the open second-story porch, and original double-hung windows. Built during the Great Depression, the only ostentation is the cathedral window on the south side of the residence. The dune garden and native plantings surrounding the house retain the ocean front setting that was typical of the neighborhood in the 1930s. In 1998, the house opened to the public as a nature center in an historical setting. Purchase and rehabilitation was made possible through contributions from many local private and corporate sponsors and through public funds from Palm Beach County, the City of Delray Beach, the Florida Communities Trust, an the Florida Department of State. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
|Placed By||Palm Beach County, the City of Delray Beach and the Florida Department of State|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, September 12th, 2014 at 5:25pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 593818 N 2926767|
|Decimal Degrees||26.45816667, -80.05888333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 26° 27.49', W 80° 3.533'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||26° 27' 29.40" N, 80° 3' 31.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||954, 561|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 142 S Ocean Blvd, Delray Beach FL 33483, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.