The building was first the home of the Franklin Cooperative Store, established in 1868. The next year, the Franklin Cooperative Mercantile Institution (FMCI) was established. The Mormon cooperative movement was an attempt to maintain good prices and markets for local products as well as insure that profits would be shared more equally among the residents of the communities.
Local stores , like the FMCI, received supplies from regional centers that purchased goods from the Zion's Cooperative Mercantile Institution (ZCMI), located in Salt Lake City. In Franklin, the local store leadership included Lorenzo Hill Hatch, president, John Doney, Sr., vice president; William Woodward, William T. Wright and Charles Fox, directors.
In 1923 the Idaho Pioneer Association purchased FCMI building to use as a relic hall, or museum, to display artifacts related to the settlement of Franklin. It was used until 1937 when the new Relic Hall was built next door.
In the 1880s, the FCMI store was discontinued. Franklin resident Elliott Butterworth, a long time resident, operated Butterworth Hardware in the building until Butterworth organized the Pioneer Association to promote and preserve local history. In this photograph, Elliott Butterworth is standing on the right and his son Leo is on the left.
|Placed By||Idaho State Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 4:49pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12T E 433717 N 4651997|
|Decimal Degrees||42.01721667, -111.80055000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 1.033', W 111° 48.033'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 1' 1.98" N, 111° 48' 1.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 113-121 E Main St, Franklin ID 83237, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.