— Saint Anthony Falls Heritage Trail —The red brick building at the corner of Third Avenue and First Street was one of many factories that supplied the barrels used for flour. Called coopers, the skilled workers who made barrels pioneered a new role for labor in Minneapolis. When their wages were cut in 1874 and a strike was broken, some of them formed a co-op. The idea spread, and by 1886 two-thirds of the coopers at the falls belonged to shops owned and managed by the workers. They prospered until flour sacks replaced barrels after 1900.
|Placed By||The St. Anthony Falls Heritage Board|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 7:47am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15T E 479403 N 4980996|
|Decimal Degrees||44.98211667, -93.26125000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 44° 58.927', W 93° 15.675'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||44° 58' 55.62" N, 93° 15' 40.50" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||612, 763, 952, 651|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 100 W River Pkwy, Minneapolis MN 55401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.