St. Paul A.M.E. Zion Church was organizedon the fourth Sunday in March 1866 underthe leadership of George C. Caine.
The house of worship was erected on thecorner of St. David and Granville Streetsin 1869.
We are grateful to Godfor those who laid the foundation ofSt. Paul A.M.E. Zion Churchin Tarboro, N.C.
Among our most notable trustees wereJohn C. Dancy, Jr., who was electededitor of the Star of Zion and trusteeof Livingstone College in Salsbury, N.C.He was also very active politicallyon the local, state, and national level.
Franklin D. Dancy was elected asTarboro's first black mayor in 1882.Served as town commissioner and state senator.
Dr. Milton D. Quigless Sr, establishedTarboro's only black hospital inDecember 1946.
On September 16, 1999, St. Paul A.M.E. ZionChurch was destroyed by floodwatersof Hurricane Floyd. The following trusteesworked untiringly to refurbish our 134year old edifice and preserve our historyby developing this historical site
Alonzo Street — Chairman Trustee BoardLovie Rooks — Chairman Historical CommitteeLorna P. Lloyd — Co-Chairman Historical CommitteeGloria B. Brown — Recording Secretary Henry L. Brown — TreasurerMary B. BlackLucille Brown
The only part of St. Paul A.M.E. Zion Churchremaining, at this location are the bell thatwas housed in the Church's steeple.A marble tablet containing the beginninghistory of our church and cornerstone.
The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, andeven for evermore.