The oldest documented grave in this cemetery, that of Louise Gillum, dates to 1859. The land was acquired by John Riley, Sr. from A.W. Smith in 1875, and became known as Riley Cemetery. Early settlers buried here include John and Elizabeth Keeling Riley and their five children; Confederate Capt. George W. Keeling, a former member of the Georgia State Legislature, the family of M.H. Couch, whose name graces Couch Mountain, Camp County's highest elevation point; and many area pioneers whose descendents continue to live in the area and maintain the historic graveyard.