J.D. Pemberton, engineer and surveyor for the H.B.C., arrived in 1851 by canoe in the last stages of his journey from England when this settlement numbered about 300. He built the first schoolhouse, was the first settler to cross the Island, and was the first Surveyor General of the colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia. As population swelled during the Cariboo gold rush, Pemberton laid out new townships. A member of the first Legislative Assembly, he founded Pemberton & Son in 1887. In 1947 the firm move to this site.
Royal Navy Capt. James Cook landed at Nootka in 1778. Capt. George Vancouver, arriving in 1792, befriended Capt. Bodega y Quadra of the Spanish Navy as the debated coastal sovereignty before the Nootka Convention, and this island was originally named Vancouver and Quadra's Island. They enjoyed a good relationship with Mowachaht Chief Maquinna. Capt. Vancouver circumnavigated the island surveying its coastline, missing the cross-continent explorer Alexander McKenzie by two weeks on the mainland Bella Coola coast.
Fort Victoria was established in 1843 by Hudson's Bay Company Chief Factor James Douglas who thought the area "a perfect Eden." The fort's southeast corner was here. Douglas was named Governor of the Colony of Vancouver Island and the Colony of British Columbia before union with Canada in 1871. This city, named for Queen Victoria, is the provincial capital.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 4th, 2014 at 12:11am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10U E 472762 N 5363528|
|Decimal Degrees||48.42431667, -123.36816667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 48° 25.459', W 123° 22.09'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||48° 25' 27.54" N, 123° 22' 5.40" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 536 Broughton St, Victoria BC V8W 1X6, CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.