The John A. Wharton Camp of the Confederate4 Veterans purchased cemetery land June 27, 1898 and more in 1903 and 1927. The total is about 15 acres. 37 confederate veterans are buried here.
On Feb. 11, 1919 F. E. Acton, Y. M. Edwards, E. GH. Ward, W. L. Kidd, O. W. Glascock, and W. C Wilson decided to pass the cemetery governing to their successors since their "body of veterans had thinned down" and the were not able to bear the responsibility. The Lamar Fontain Chapter of the U. D. C. unveiled the large monument on May 9, 1924 Veteran J. L. Durham was inadvertently ommitted.
Article of a non-profit, voluntary corporation were established Dec. 28, 1934 and rewritten Apr. 26, 1983. In 1968 the trustees established a mowing fund. This fund now operates under the State of Texas laws where provision is made in Sec. 6, Art. 912A for taxing lot owners for "care and upkeep". This was the first cemetery in the county kept mowed under this provision.
Trustees attempt to maintain the operation of the t cemetery in the spirit in which it was originally intended and strive to develop policies in keeping with the consensus of the previous trustees.