Dedicated to the valiant members of the historic Mormon Battalion who stopped here on March 20, 1847, as they marched from San Diego to Los Angeles. A division of the U.S. Army of the West, these brave soldiers, trusting in God, overcame incredible odds and faced unequaled hardships in extending the frontiers of our country to include this land of promise.
The 500 loyal men of the Mormon Battalion, recruited from the camps of the Mormon pioneers who had just been driven from the United States, enlisted to serve their country in the war with Mexico. These faithful men left their families on July 20, 1846, and marched 2,000 miles on foot—the longest march in U.S. history, arriving in San Diego on January 29, 1847.
After building a wagon road to the West, the industrious Battalion members worked tirelessly, fortifying old Ft. Stockton in San Diego, constructing Ft. Moore in Los Angeles, and performing community service projects. The Battalion played a major role in maintaining the peace, establishing political stability in the territory, and shaping early California history.