1832 ~ 1838 ~ 1873 ~ 1973In 1832, Sylvanus Blackburn left Tennessee with a wagon and four oxen, and came to the War Eagle River valley in Arkansas. He spent the winter building a log home and clearing the land of his homestead. He brought his wife from Tennessee the next year. One of Sylvanus' first projects was a water-powered grist mill. In 1838, a flood on War Eagle destroyed the mill. A second mill, four stories tall, was soon erected. Five of Blackburn's sons joined the Confederate Army and the rest of the family went to Texas. The retreating Confederate Army burned the mill on War Eagle to prevent its use by Federal troops. Sylvanu's sixth son, James Austin Cameron Blackburn, built the third mill in 1873. The village of War Eagle grew around the grist mill. There was a sawmill, carpentry shop, and a blacksmith shop, but the grist mill was the center of activities — socializing, square dancing, and weddings. In 1924, once again the mill burned. For nearly 50 years only the dam and raceway remained. In 1973, centennial year of the original mill, Jewell A., Leta Medlin and Zoe Medlin Caywood built the existing fourth mill on the same foundation as an authentic reproduction of the first mill to preserve the history of grist milling.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 29th, 2014 at 6:47pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 415284 N 4013992|
|Decimal Degrees||36.26715000, -93.94313333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 16.029', W 93° 56.588'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 16' 1.74" N, 93° 56' 35.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 11045 War Eagle Rd, Rogers AR 72756, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.