[This is a four sided monument with four different markers:]Mojave TrailThis secluded valley once bore a primitive traffic and knew the lithe tread of native feet.
Las Flores RanchNear this spot on March 25, 1866, Edwin Parrish, Nephi Bemis and Pratt Whiteside, young cowboys employed on this ranch, were ambushed, killed and mutiliated by Piute Indians, who then burned several ranch buildings and fled down the Mojave River to the rocky narrows below Victorville.
At or near this place was once located a Vanyume Indian village called Guapiabit, where, in 1808, the Franciscan Fray Zalvidea baptised two old men and three aged women.
The devoted father, soon to assume the administration of the Mission San Gabriel, had traveled from Santa Barbara as official diarist of an expedition sent out in quest of suitable sites for inland missions.
Until 1924, this fenced lane was used as a part of the county road down Summit Valley from Cajon Pass.
From here, a branch road once led across the West For, just below the present bridge, and followed up the stream to connect with old lumber roads in the mountains.
The ancient Indian trail from the Colorado River to the coast led up the Mojave River into the mountains and climbed Sawpit Canyon to the summit of the range.
The Piute Indians, using this trail, left a pathway which guided explorer, priest and pioneer across the desert waste and over the mountain barrier.
When the Mormons came, in 1851, immigrant wagons already worn a well marked road through Cajon Pass . Threafter, the old Mojave Trail was little used.