"Our Jewish Heritage"
— Historic Wayside Tour #8 —Leavenworth - Gateway to the West and Headquarters of the Department of the Missouri - was the supply base for settlers and emigrants to the vast region lying west to the Pacific Ocean. Selected because of the excellence of its site, the navigability of the Missouri River and the protection offered by the military stationed at the nearby Fort, merchandise and commodities of every type and description arriving by boats from the east were deposited at the Landing. Upon receipt goods were loaded on wagon trains and later on railroads moving westward or transferred to nearby retail and wholesale business locations for storage and sale. By 1870, Leavenworth, with a population of over 25 thousand, the largest city between St. Louis and the Pacific Ocean, was a major commercial center with a paved levee at the river bank, miles of graded and macadamized streets and long rows of three and four story brick and iron buildings along Cherokee, Shawnee and Delaware Streets.
|Placed By||City of Leavenworth|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, October 6th, 2014 at 1:27am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 335228 N 4353867|
|Decimal Degrees||39.31853333, -94.91138333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 19.112', W 94° 54.683'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 19' 6.72" N, 94° 54' 40.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 200-298 Delaware St, Leavenworth KS 66048, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.