Originally called Russell Place for the Irish immigrant William Russell who settled near here on a branch of Beaver Creek in 1768. General William Tecumseh Sherman passed through Russell Place in 1865 on his way to North Carolina. In 1871 James Robert Magill moved here. Magill served in the S.C. House of Representatives 1887 ~ 88, and the S.C. Senate, 1889 ~ 1894. For several years around the turn of the 20th Century, the post office here was called Magill. In 1906, Stewart William Heath moved here. He operated the Southern Granite Company and built his own railroad. The Central Railroad of South Carolina, which ran from the quarry to Heath Springs. John George Sassi, an Italian immigrant, lived here for several years and was the stonecutter for the quarry, using Stoneboro Granite, Sassi sculpted the confederate monument that stands in front of the Lancaster County Court House.