William Scodie, born in 1827 in Prussia, originally moved to Keyesville in 1856 and opened an eating establishment. He relocated to this area in 1861 operating a way-station from his house. Stocking his front room with supplies, he sold to locals as well as miners and freighters passing through to the Argus Mines in San Bernardino County.
This store, originally called the Scodie Store, was constructed in 1880 under the supervision of Captain Andress, a local rancher. In 1889, the name Onyx was chosen by Scodie after the Post Office Department declined to use the name Scodie due to its similarity to Scotia (in Humboldt County).
Scodie died in 1898, but the store he founded continues to serve residents and travelers alike.