Hailed as one of the best arranged and equipped livery stables on the coast, Dashaway Stables was constructed by Frederick Tennant and William Connell in 1888 at 130 South Second Street, San Jose. Dashaway Stables, proud of its excellent reputation for the care given its teams and equipment, soon advertised "a large string of useful, careful animals of fine appearance, with vehicles of all kinds and sizes."
A satellite stable of Lick Livery and Hack Company, Dashaway Stables was a forerunner of today's taxi and rent-a-car agencies. Hacks could be rented for short scenic excursions. Urging its patrons to "revel in the delights of a spring through Santa Clara Valley, its foothills and adjacent mountains, behind a Dashaway team in the hands of a skilled Dashaway driver," Dashaway Stables was among the first city businesses to offer a phone reservation system for its customers.
In 1894, Lyman Hale took possession of the stables until 1898 when Arthur L. Chambers became president of Lick Livery and Hack Co. The stables were destroyed in 1928.
Appreciation is gratefully extended to E Clampus Vitus, Mountain Charlie Chapter; Mary Lou Lyon's California History Class of 1975 at Homestead High School; and the San Jose Historical Museum Association for their donation of labor in completing this project.