The first African-American families moved to Hitchcock in 1892, and by 1900 additional families had joined them. Many would form the nucleus of the Galilee Missionary Baptist Church when it was organized in 1901. The Rev. J. L. Luckett served as first pastor to the young congregation, which met in homes for worship services. Charles Monroe and Walter King served as the first deacons.
In 1902, the congregation was given land and a building for their purposes. The building was moved onto the new church property and served until the church purchased land on North Railroad Avenue and constructed a new building about 1910. The 1932 hurricane severely damaged the sanctuary, but with the help of members and friends in the community, the church was rebuilt.
Over the years, as the congregation grew and ministries were expanded, additional buildings and facilities were constructed to serve the church's needs. Baptisms were held in nearby Highland Creek for the first 50 years. In 1968, the congregation moved to this site.
With strong historical associations to the development of Hitchcock, and with its emphasis on music, worship, outreach and fellowship, the Galilee Missionary Baptist Church has played an important role in the religious and cultural history of the community.