Historical Marker — Tags

Showing historical markers tagged with Education

Ascending
Showing results 1 to 10 of 7069
historicalmarkerproject/markers/HM1CB5_confederate-park-greenville-city-hall-site-of-public-school_Greenville-AL.html
Side 1Confederate ParkConfederate Park was created in 1897 as a joint effort of the Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the City of Greenville, with First United Methodist Church providing the Park site. The sixteen-…
historicalmarkerproject/markers/HM14O7_significant-dates-in-fayetteville-history_Fayetteville-AR.html
Significant dates in Fayetteville history include: Incorporated town in 1836; Old Wire road from Jefferson City, Mo. to Ft. Smith cut in 1835; Washington County Fair first held on the Square in 1856; first telegraph installed around 1860; Butterfi…
historicalmarkerproject/markers/HMPFV_william-gee_Florence-SC.html
A veteran of the Revolution, William Gee served as a private with the Continental Line of N.C. and moved to this area before 1797. He was one of the original members of the Washington Society, organized in 1803 to establish an academy on Jeffries …
historicalmarkerproject/markers/HMGW9_vanderbilt-university_Nashville-TN.html
An independent, privately supported university founded 1873 by Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt, New York shipping & railway magnate, who gave $1,000,000 to start the university & expressed his wish that it should "contribute to strengthening the ti…
historicalmarkerproject/markers/HMM3B_amanda-arnold-arch_Manhattan-KS.html
This stone arch stood from 1878-1924 as the entry to Central School, 600 Leavenworth. At the suggestion of Judge Sam Kimble, Contractor Mont J. Green, Sr. contributed the arch as a memorial to Amanda Arnold, an early teacher who came on the steamb…
historicalmarkerproject/markers/HM10G_h-irvine-keyser_Baltimore-MD.html
This site and these buildings were presented to the Maryland Historical Society as a memorial to my husband H. Irvine Keyser of Baltimore. Obit May 7, 1916. A member of the Society 1873 to 1916.
historicalmarkerproject/markers/HMDJG_former-site-of-berlin-school_Delaware-OH.html
Berlin School stood on this site from 1915 to 1975. The first graduating class was in 1916, with the first graduate being Mildred Schanck. The last graduating class was in 1953 with 14 members. Over these 38 years, 472 students graduated from Berl…
historicalmarkerproject/markers/HMC3C_marist-place_Savannah-GA.html
Site of Marist School for Boys1919 - 1939 —— Grammer School Operated by Marist Brothers of the Schools —— Last Graduating Class June 9, 1939 Rev. Bro. Eugene Bergeron, F.M.S. Teacher Rev. Bro, Nicdoias Whiteside, F.M.S. Pri…
historicalmarkerproject/markers/HMJQP_university-of-alabama_Tuscaloosa-AL.html
Endowed by Congress 1819Ordained by State constitution 1819And established byGeneral Assembly 1820Instruction Begun 1831Unofficial Training SchoolConfederate Officers 1861-65Destroyed by Federal ArmyApril 4, 1865, Rebuilding Begun 1867and Reopened…
historicalmarkerproject/markers/HMT0R_susquehanna-university_Selinsgrove-PA.html
Founded 1858 by the Evangelical Lutheran Church as the Missionary Institute and Susquehanna Female College. The present corporate title was adopted in 1895.
PAGE 1 OF 707