Showing historical markers tagged with Native Americans
Showing results 1 to 10 of 6548
"Camped at the mouth of a Creek called river a Chauritte, above a Small french Village of 7 houses and as many families... The people at this Village is pore, houses Small, they Sent us milk & eggs to eat."William Clark, May 25, 1804
On May 25,…
PotawatomiA Trail of DeathSandusky Point EncampmentSeptember 17 - 20, 1838This marker dedicated September 21, 1993by descendants of the Patawatomi who were forcibly removed from Indiana and marched to Kansas in 1838.
Beginning on May 26, 1838, soldiers began rounding up Cherokee women, men, and children. They showed little concern or respect for families or their property. In the first days, confusion abounded as soldiers and militiamen gathered individuals wh…
Two miles west. Site of battle fought Dec. 18, 1812, in which British-allied Miami Indians were defeated by U.S. troops and Militia under Col. John Campbell.
1590 A war party of 40 Mohegan Indianswas driven over these bluffs byBlock Island Indians - The Manisseans.Along this shore manyvessels were wrecked
S. Ann Hope · S.S. LeydenMars · SpartanJohn Davis · MunagoS.S. Meteor &mid…
Stages of ConstructionThe earth walls were built over a period of approximately three hundred years and used for a couple of hundred years beyond that. American Indians used the shoulder bones of deer and elk, split elk antler, clam shell hoes, an…
From this spot N. 20? W. 220 ft.stood the First Court Houseof Fairfax CountyBuilt in 1742abandonedbecause Indian hostilitiesabout 1752
This site was donated to the Benton County Historical Society by Scarlett Biggs Wilson and Lara Wilson Rosenblum in honor of their parents/grandparents, Guy and Nell Biggs, early pioneers of the Cross Hollows area. Cross Hollows is recognized for …
Over 1,000 years ago, the Timucua (tee-MOO-quo) people established villages in this area. They fished, hunted, and grew crops such as maize, squash, and beans.
By the 1700s, the Timucuans began to disappear as they succumbed to war and disease …
Marshall HallBuilt by Wm. Marshall in 1690 on land obtained from the Piscataway Indians. Maryland landing of Posey ferry used by Washington. Mt. Vernon in sight from river shore.