Showing historical markers tagged with People
Page 7 of 951 — Showing results 61 to 70 of 9510
From whom McKeesport derives its name, first permanent white settler at the forks of the Monongahela and Youghiogheny Rivers in 1755. The Colonial Government granted to him exclusive right of ferrage over these rivers April 3, 1769, called"McKee's…
Here repose the remains of James Johnston (1738-1808) - - editor of Georgia's first newspaper.
A native of Scotland, Johnston settled at Savannah in 1761. "Recommended as a person regularly bred and well skilled in the Art and mystery of Print…
This monument is dedicated to Mary Celia Dempsey mother of William Harrison "Jack" Dempsey born June 24, 1895
He fought his way to becomeworld heavyweight champion on July 4, 1919and became known as the legendary "Manassa Mauler"
A pioneer citizen of Nacogdoches. Born in Cologne, Germany, April 5, 1801. Alcalde at Nacogdoches under the Mexican Government, member of the Congress of the Republic of Texas. Died March 27, 1859. Buried in Nacogdoches. Here General Sam Houston m…
Born in Scotland 1783 Died in Mayville 1851 at one time partner of John Jacob Astor in Pacific Fur Company.
The renowned Georgia poetess, Roselle Mercier Montgomery, daughter of Col. William Nathaniel and Emma Smith Mercier, was born on this site in 1874. Educated at Washington Female Seminary and Mary Baldwin Seminary, she married distinguished N.Y. la…
Abraham Lincolntraveled this way as he rode the Circuit of the Eighth Judicial District ???1847 - 1857
Dedicated to the sacred memoryof the Avondale Boys ofWorld War II who made the SupremeSacrifice for Liberty and Humanity.Thomas Nelson · Albert W. Moore · James A. Williams · John L. Warner · Wayne Daily · Cheste…
The Founding of WorthingtonThe Scioto Company, led by James Kilbourn (Kilbourne) of Granby and Berlin, Connecticut, founded Worthington in 1803, the year that Ohio became a state. The Scioto Company was organized as a land company in 1802 with 38 …
Old gunshop, built in 1719, is located about one mile northeast. Here, before 1745 the earliest known Pennsylvania Rifle, misnamed Kentucky Rifle, was made. building is marked with a tablet.